Thursday, February 9, 2017

Stracciatella Soup




A basic Italian soup that is both quick and comforting.


My parents were stationed in Northern Italy when I was a small child.  They both loved the food and learned how to prepare many traditional recipes from the region.  My sister and I grew up loving this simple soup.  I went on to prepare it for my family and they adore it too.  It takes just minutes to make, so is perfect for a quick meal.  I like to add some baby kale or spinach.  You could add chicken or other vegetables, but its simplicity is one of this soup's great appeals.  It is also perfect if you are avoiding gluten because the egg and cheese take the place of noodles and it doesn't require any thickener.  I always have these ingredients on hand, so it is just as easy as opening a can, and so much better!

2 quarts Chicken Broth or Stock
4 Eggs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp Basil (fresh or dried)
1 cup Baby Kale or Spinach, tightly packed
Salt and Pepper to taste


In a large pot or dutch oven, bring the chicken broth to a boil.


While the broth is heating, crack the eggs into a measuring cup.


Add the cheese and basil.
Whisk until well combined.


When the broth is boiling, 
slowly pour a small stream of the egg mixture into the broth, 
while stirring briskly in a circular motion.
This will create the strands of egg and cheese that you want.
Stracciatella means "little rags".


Add the kale or spinach.
Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.


Serves 8.


No comments:

Post a Comment