Monday, February 5, 2018

Gluten Free Flour Blend


The best Gluten Free Flour substitute for All Purpose Flour.


I have tried many pre-made gluten free flour blends.  Some are quite good and I have recommended a few on this blog, but some are quite bad.  They are all expensive -- and so investing so much into a flour that tastes "off" or is grainy is something we all want to avoid.  I have found that making your own is usually the best.  I have also tried many "recipes" for gluten free flour and this one is the best in my opinion.  I have used it in many of my own recipes -- always with amazing results.  It can be used as a one-to-one substitute for all purpose flour in most recipes, however, you may need to add a small amount of Xanthan Gum (about 1/4 tsp) and sometimes other ingredients like liquids and leavening agents will need to be adjusted.  I found this recipe in Gluten-Free Baking Classics, by Annalise G. Roberts. In it, she has great recipes for all sorts of baked goods.  I have tried many of them and have been thrilled with the results.   You can try this blend in your own recipes and I will be posting some of my favorite ways to use it in up-coming posts. 

Watch me make this recipe in this video:





Authentic Foods Brown Rice Flour Superfine is the real secret to this blend.  The rice is ground extra fine which eliminates the grainy texture found in many gluten free flours.  I purchase it from Amazon.  It may seem expensive (about $16 for 3 lbs.), but it will make several batches of this blend and really is worth it!


The other two ingredients are Potato Starch (not potato flour) and Tapioca Flour (which is the same as tapioca starch).  Bob's Red Mill products can be found in most grocery stores.


The easiest and most accurate way to mix up a batch is to use a digital kitchen scale.
Don't worry if you don't have one -- I will list the recipe in cups below.
Place your container on top of the scale and press "tare" to account for the weight of the container and set the scale to "0".
Measure 600 grams of the Brown Rice Flour into your container.


Press "tare" to set the scale to zero.
Then measure 200 grams of Potato Starch.


Press "tare" again and measure 100 grams of Tapioca Flour.
Now just cover with an airtight lid and shake!

Gluten Free Flour Blend

2 parts Brown Rice Flour
2/3 parts Potato Starch
1/3 part Tapioca Flour

or

2 cups Brown Rice Flour
2/3 cup Potato Starch
1/3 cup Tapioca Flour

or

600 grams Rice Flour
200 grams Potato Starch
100 grams Tapioca Flour

Store in an airtight container.



No comments:

Post a Comment