Thursday, November 3, 2016

Butternut Souffle


A comforting, slightly sweet and light soufflé that pairs well with any meat.  
The perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner!


My family has never been a huge fan of butternut squash.  I tried preparing it all sorts of ways, but was always disappointed at  my family's lack of enthusiasm. Then, I discovered this recipe in a William-Sonona catalog.  It looked interesting... I wonder?  After making some gluten free adjustments (the original called for vanilla wafers in the topping), I served it up.  Immediately my husband and boys began to rave.  Someone actually asked why had I not ever fixed Butternut Squash before?  Hmm, I don't know!

1 medium to large Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1/4 cup Sugar
1 cup  Whole Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Orange Extract
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pamela's Gluten Free Baking and Pancake Mix
(All purpose flour can be substituted)
3 Eggs
1/4 cup Butter, melted

Topping:

1 cup crushed Chex Cereal
(any flavor works - I love Vanilla)
1/4 cup Butter, melted
1/4 cup Brown Sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.


Steam butternut squash until tender.
I usually steam in the microwave in a covered dish with a small amount of water.


Drain the squash and transfer it to the bowl of a food processor.


Puree until very smooth.


Add sugar, milk, vanilla, orange extract, salt, GF baking mix (or flour) and butter. 
Process until blended well.
Add the eggs last so that hot squash will not scramble them.
Adding them at the end allows the other ingredients to bring down the temperature.


Pour the mixture into a buttered baking dish.
Bake for 30 minutes or until set.


While the soufflé is in the oven, prepare the topping.
In a small bowl, crush the Chex cereal with a potato masher - 
or you can put them into a sealed bag and crush with a rolling pin.


Add the brown sugar and melted butter to the crushed cereal.


Mix well.


When it is set, remove the soufflé from the oven.


Spread the topping evenly over the soufflé and return to the oven 
for an additional 10 minutes, or until golden.

Allow the souffle to cool for 10 minutes and serve!

Serves 6-8



No comments:

Post a Comment