Thursday, October 20, 2016

Cauliflower Curry Soup


A Thai inspired twist on cauliflower soup.

In anticipation of a "cold front" arriving in Austin, I couldn't wait to create a warm and cozy soup for dinner.  So far, our Fall has remained in the '90s and the promise of some cool dry days and even cooler evenings gets everyone excited around here.  I cannot wait to wear some of my sweaters and to say goodbye (at least for a few days) to my summer clothes!
I may have jumped the gun as I made this the night before our Fall weather arrived, but my family didn't mind! I adore curry of any type and I am always thinking of new recipes to try.  If you are curry crazy too then be on the lookout for more to come!


1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 large Cauliflower head, cut into florets
1 large Onion, chopped
2 Tbsp Red Curry Paste
1 quart Chicken or Vegetable Stock
1 (14 oz) can Coconut Milk
1 tsp Fish Sauce
(this is optional, but if you omit, you will need to season with salt)
2 Tbsp Honey


Combine the coconut oil, cauliflower and onion in a large pot or dutch oven.
Cook over medium heat until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.


Stir in the curry paste and cook for one more minute.


Pour in the chicken or vegetable stock...


...and the coconut milk.
My coconut milk looks a little watery, because it separated in the can.  
Don't worry if this happens, it will come together when you mix it into the soup.


Add the fish sauce...


... and the honey.
Honey is optional, but I really like my curry to be a little on the sweet side.
Cook with the lid off for 15-20 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
Be sure to keep the heat low so that the coconut milk doesn't currdle.


Use an immersion blender to puree the soup into a smooth and creamy consistancy.
Or, you can puree in a blender in small batches.


Ready to serve!


Top with a dollop of greek yogurt and fresh basil.
Serves 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment