Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Homemade Spice Blends



These are my favorite spice blends.
I find myself using these three more than any others.
They are very versatile and I am finding new ways to use them all the time.
I was inspired to make my own when I discovered that some of my favorite store-bought blends contained some questionable ingredients
- and many contain soybean oil, which we try to avoid.
I measure the ingredients into Mason jars, shake, seal with the lid,
(these plastic ones can be found at Walmart)
and store in a cool, dry place.
I often make double batches because I use them so often.
They also make nice hostess gifts!


Taco Seasoning Blend

4 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt

Use 2 Tbsp.with 1 lb. ground beef, turkey or chicken and 1/2 cup of water
 to make a delicious taco filling.
Makes a great rub on chicken or pork before grilling to use in your favorite Tex/Mex dishes.

Montreal Steak Seasoning Blend

2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
2 Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp fresh ground Pepper
1 Tbsp Coriander
1 Tbsp Dill
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Onion Powder

Use as a rub for steak, burgers and fish.  It is especially good on Salmon.
I also use it to season chili.

Vegetable Seasoning Blend

1 Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp fresh ground Pepper
1/2 tsp Turmeric

Use on sautéd or roasted vegetables.


No comments:

Post a Comment